Saturday, November 3, 2007

Chicken enchiladas and MEAT! while Yeti Wife is away

My near-vegetarian Yeti Wife is out of town this weekend, so I'm trying out a new rub for slow-cooked (BBQ) beef briskets. If it works well, I may post it here. Or I may keep it a Yeti trade secret. Here are some chicken enchiladas that I used to make two Yeti's worth, but now I just make some since I'm the only Yeti eating them. Snowdogs don't get enchiladas, but they would like them nonetheless.

2-3 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
about 10 flour or corn tortillas, depending on your preference
premade enchilada sauce such as a nice picante or your favorite salsa
a nice melting cheese that you like, I use Anjeho or whatever else I have on hand
¼ to ½ onion, small dice
optional – sliced jalapenos and cilantro to taste

Poach the chicken breasts in gently boiling water for about 20 minutes. If it cooks much longer you'll have cat food and not enchiladas. After the chicken is poached, allow it to cool to a temperature that you can handle easily. Preheat the oven to 350F.

Shred the poached chicken. Add about 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce and almost all of the diced onion. Also, add the jalapenos and cilantro at this time if you wish. Reserve about ¼ cup of enchilada or other sauce for later. Place about 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture near the edge of one of the tortillas. Add a pinch of cheese. Roll up and place the enchilada into an baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas or until you run out of chicken mixture. Leftover chicken mixture is great mixed with additional cilantro and pasta.

After all the tortillas are rolled and in the baking dish, pour a bit of the enchilada sauce over each one and sprinkle with a small amount of the remaining cheese and the rest of the onion. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Serves 1 Yeti, or 2 hungry college students, or 3 normal people, or 4 normal people with salad and dessert.

If I get some requests, I may post my recipe for chocolate enchiladas. You can even make those with leftover Halloween chocolate candy. Well, at least the chocolate bar candy type candy.

1 comment:

K said...

Oooh, I miss those Yeti enchiladas! We have to figure out a meatless version.

Love, your Yeti Wife